Tuesday 23 September 2008

Queen Christina

Movie Review: Queen Christina

Year of Release: 1933
Country of Origin: USA
Director: Rouben Mamoulian
Cast: Greta Garbo, John Gilbert

Plot outline: Queen Christina of Sweden is pressured to marry her cousin, Charles Gustav, but she falls in love with Spanish envoy, Don Antonio. As Protestant Swedes are aghast at the possibility of their queen marrying a Catholic, she must deal with the political realities of her society and make a fateful decision (IMDb).

Loosely based on the life of the 17th century Queen Christina of Sweden, this movie is Hollywood's interpretation of the character and events leading up to her abdication. The story does not make a serious distortion as it shows a lot of true facts about her life: e.g. her coronation when she was only five years old, her desire for peace, her inquisitiveness and her bohemian characteristics (she loves arts, books and paintings). The only fictitious event added is a clandestine love affair between her and a Spanish envoy, and this becomes a major plot that serves as a catalyst for questions about Christina's self identity, duty and perspective. Garbo's performance as Christina is something to behold, something you will never forget (!) It is a perfect blend of masculinity, passion and sensuality. It is a convincing portrayal of the queen's decisions, dilemmas and desires. It catches the audience's attention and holds it to the end of the movie. Consider these three scenes:

Christina (speaking in front of the Parliament when she argues an end to the Thirty Years' War): "Spoils, glory, flags and trumpets! What is behind these high-sounding words? Death and destruction, triumphals of crippled men, Sweden victorious in a ravaged Europe, an island in a dead sea. I tell you, I want no more of it. I want for my people security and happiness. I want to cultivate the arts of peace, the arts of life. I want peace and peace I will have!"

Christina (speaking to Chancellor Oxenstierna): "There is too great a burden you put on me. I have grown up in a great man's shadow. All my life I've been a symbol, a symbol of eternal changelessness, an abstraction. A human being is mortal and changeable with desires and impurities, hopes and despairs. I'm tired of being a symbol, Chancellor. I long to be a human being, this longing I cannot suppress."

Christina (speaking to Don Antonio): "I thought you would understand when you saw me again what had happened. That it had been so enchanting to be a woman, not a Queen, just a woman in a man's arms."

Garbo plays the role of Christina with majesty and vulnerability, she also presents assurance, clarity, determination and style of a great leader. What an outstanding performance! John Gilbert is great as Spanish envoy, Don Antonio; Ian Keith is good as wicked Count Magnus; but both don't come close to Garbo in charisma - who does? The cinematography is beautiful. The script is excellent - it is full of memorable dialogue, which is endlessly quotable. My favourites scenes are: 1) Garbo's speech in front of the Parliament, 2) Garbo's touching all objects in the inn's room in order to memorize them, 3) the final scene - Garbo's tight close-up while standing at the bow of the ship as it sets sail (this is possibly the most famous close-up in movie history). This movie boasts some of Garbo's most gorgeous close-ups you've ever seen. It has been 75 years since it was released but yet it is still a pleasure to see.

My judgement: *** out of 4 stars

No comments: